Thursday, April 21, 2011

C'est la vie & Portobello Tacos

So, I would love to have come back here to say that the Vibram FiveFingers have solved all of my problems, and I am now one of the fastest runners in the world racing against the likes of Kara Goucher, I have a fulfilling career, and I've learned how to perfect cold fusion.

Alas, my foot problem came back with a vengeance April 9, 2011.  I took one week plus some change off of  running and assumed that I would be all better.  I ran for the first time this past Tuesday, and the pain came raging back.  And I mean raging.

I do not blame my Vibrams in the least bit.  After all, the first time I had this issue was when I had the most supportive shoes of all.  I guess the only logical conclusion at this point is that I am broken, and that the benefits of years of evolution have bypassed me in favor of more deserving individuals.  More to come on this later.  

On a positive note, I did make some amazing tacos tonight.  Grilled portobello tacos with salsa verde to be exact.  

Then again... anything paired with three shots of tequila might be amazing. 


Source






  •  I adapted this recipe from the above link for my fiance and I:
  • Marinade:
  • A  glug of canola oil
  • 1.5 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2  tsp. black pepper
  • Tacos:
  • 3 large portobello mushroom caps
  • 5 6-inch soft corn tortillas (2 for me, 3 for him)
  • 1 avocados, sliced
  • Enough green leaf lettuce for 5 tacos!
Salsa Verde:
  • 1 12 ounce can of tomatillos 
  • 1/2 a large green bell pepper 
  • 1/2 a jalapeno pepper, de-seeded
  • 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • Couple of squirts of agave nectar
  • A glug of canola oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS


1. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. To make Marinade: combine all ingredients in small bowl.
To make Tacos:
2. Brush mushroom caps with marinade (I just dunked them in the bowl). Grill mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cool until easy to handle, then slice into strips.
To make Salsa Verde:
3. Purée all ingredients in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth.
4. Lightly warm tortillas 15 seconds per side in skillet or on griddle. Fill tortillas with sliced mushrooms, avocado slices, and lettuce.

The salsa verde was delicious!!!  Don't even get me started about the portobello mushrooms; so satisfying!  I highly recommend this meal with some tapatio on top (oh, and three shots of tequila)!

So, I still have a foot problem.  After this dinner, drinks, and a walk around the block with my fiance (plus an eventual foot rub...), that problem is at the back of my head (or rather the arch of my foot).  I guess having foot problems regardless of the type of shoe you wear, a dead end, soul draining job, and the inability to produce massive quantities of energy at room temperature is just part of life.  

C'est la vie.     

1 comment:

  1. I have rediscovered my love for tacos recently, but very simple ones (beans, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, tomato). I am eager to try some new ones...yours are ones to aspire to haha!

    ReplyDelete